Implant-Retained Dentures – Clayton, MO
Regain Your Lost Teeth and Renew Your Smile
If you have suffered extensive tooth loss, you may find that it is difficult to chew food or to smile with confidence. Your long-term oral health is also at risk. Fortunately, modern dentistry offers a beautiful, strong, and reliable way to restore your missing teeth. At Sevens Dental, Dr. Dedrickson and the rest of our team are proud to help our patients regain their lost smiles through implant-retained dentures.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants in Clayton offer a number of outstanding benefits:
- Instead of relying on an adhesive or natural suction for support, implant-retained dentures are anchored in the jawbone. They are therefore able to provide a very strong bite, and there is little to no chance that they will slip out during eating or speaking.
- Dental implants bond with the bone around them, thereby helping to preserve the shape and structure of your jaw.
- Due to changes in the shape of the jaw, traditional dentures may fit well for only five to eight years before they need to be replaced. An implant-retained denture can maintain its fit and function for decades.
- The surgery to place the implants is minimally invasive; only four to six implants are necessary to provide support for the denture.
- Due to advances in implant placement technique, more people than ever are candidates for implant-retained dentures.
How Does It Work?
There are basically two types of implant-retained dentures: ball-retained dentures and bar-retained dentures. Both types are very secure in the mouth and provide a natural appearance. They consist of a gum-colored base and porcelain or acrylic teeth. There are attachments on the bottom of the prosthesis that help to hold it in place. Neither type of implant denture offers significant advantages over the other.
With ball implant stabilization, each implant has a small attachment on top that matches up to an attachment on the dentures. Usually, the attachments on the implants are ball-shaped and snap into concave metal spaces on the dentures.
With bar implant stabilization, there is a thin bar that matches the curve of your jaw. It is attached to the implants. Some type of attachments, usually clips, serve to connect the bar to the prosthetic teeth.
Understanding the Cost of Implant-Retained Dentures
To fully understand the cost of implant-retained dentures, you must first understand the basics of what is involved in providing them. The process has two basic phases:
- During the placement surgery, a local oral surgeon will place the implants at strategic locations within the jaw. The cost of the implants, the anesthesia, and other factors all play a role in determining the final price of this procedure.
- Once the implants have bonded to your bone, you’ll return to Sevens Dental so your dentist in Clayton can add the abutments and restore the teeth. This is when you’ll receive the attachments that will anchor your prosthesis in place and then receive your new teeth.
Although dental implants may seem expensive, they are a worthwhile investment! They have the potential to provide you with many decades of confident, beautiful smiles and sound oral health.
Caring for Your Implant-Retained Dentures
Caring for your implant-retained dentures in Clayton is easy. If you have a removable prosthesis, you may need to take it out daily and soak it. However, if your dentures are fixed in place, you can care for them in basically the same way you would care for your natural teeth via a good routine of brushing and flossing. Dr. Dedrickson will provide you with detailed instructions on how to look after your new smile so it stays clean, functional, and gorgeous.